PICK A VERSE TO PROMOTE YOUR HERESY


It's amazing to me how Christians will pick and choose a single verse of the Bible in order to promote what basically winds up being heresy. It's the same tactic Satan used in the wilderness as he tempted Jesus. Of course Jesus, the Son of God, combated Satan with the fullness of scripture. (See Matthew 4)

 A few months ago I saw a verse posted by a friend on Facebook which said, "Thou shalt also decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee: and the light shall shine upon thy ways." (Job 22:28 KJV)

The post was an attempt to say that we as believers can make a decree or declaration and it shall come to pass. I since then have seen many people, including Christian leaders, quoting this verse and making all sorts of decrees which flow much more out of their personal desire than  from the will of God. 

The issue with this verse is that it is not one we should quote and attempt to incorporate into our lives. Why? Because these were not words coming from God. These are the words of Eliphaz the Temanite. The book of Job is about Job who is a righteous man. God gives Satan permission to take everything that is dear to Job and his livelihood. In his pain and sorrow, Job has several friends who come to offer their advice. One of them is Eliphaz. 

Near the end of the book of Job, God speaks. "And so it was, after the LORD had spoken these words to Job, that the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has." (Job 42:7 NKJV) In others words, Eliphaz's words were not God given advice. 

I responded to the post by simply sharing a verse without any additional comment: Who is he who speaks and it comes to pass, When the Lord has not commanded it? (Lam 3:37 NKJV) This was seen by my friend as bringing a "rod of correction" and she quickly removed my comment. We messaged one another and not surprising, she had no idea about the context of this verse. 

I could dig deeper into all of it, but my point is this: Christians do not know the scripture well enough to recognize heresy when they see it. It breaks my heart. It saddens me. It angers me. It challenges me in my own beliefs and study of God's word. It causes me to cry out to God on behalf of the church. It has motivated me to start this ministry called Truth Pursuit.

I truly believe God's anger is rising up as irresponsible preachers and teachers twist and skew verses in order to serve their own selfish desires. The fullness of the Word is being shunned as people pick and choose verses pulled out of context and attach them to their own personal commentary. The Word of God is a sword and it is cutting down the curtains of showmanship to reveal the abominations of wolves who are leading sheep astray. 

Please don't be led astray. Get into the word. Open your Bible. Begin to read it. Don't be caught up in the charisma of TV preachers. Get caught up in God and His word.

Stay Blessed!

Tim


Comments

Popular Posts